Wednesday, April 18, 2012

hope.

faithful when i'm not. ageless. constant. unchanging. loving. tender like a father.

"all through the storm, Your love is the anchor. my hope is in You alone." -faithful one

i realize i'm not the only one in the storm. i realize others are battling. today, i take my eyes off myself for one second. and i'm so blessed.

depression is dark, a storm. depression makes you want to stay in bed. it drains your energy. it kills your immune system. it causes doubt. self doubt. doubt of those around you. depression makes it hard to concentrate. depression keeps you from sleeping. it causes unhealthy eating habits. in severe cases, depression will bring about thoughts of suicide, and even attempts.

depression is something that you don't understand unless you've been there.

hope [hohp] noun, verb. hoped, hoping.
the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best; to believe, desire, or trust.

found in only one place. Jesus Christ.

without Christ, i can't even imagine facing depression. without Christ i wouldn't be here. and so many others. by His grace. by His mercy. He turns mourning into dancing and removes the sackcloth and replaces it with gladness (psalm 30:11-12). i can testify.

there are many types of depression. medical and emotional, that caused by spiritual warfare. medically, depression is typically categorized as "major," "chronic," or "manic."

major (clinical depression): debilitating, dangerous, not caused by circumstances, medications or drug abuse. may reoccur.

chronic: lasting more than 2 years; less serious than major; usually will stick with you throughout your entire life, and may have bats of major depression as a symptom. can be characterized by a mood, also easy to hide.

manic: the low, in the battle of high and low for someone who suffers from bipolar disorder.

whether major, chronic, or manic, there is hope for those in the storm.

i strongly believe that king david suffered from depression. i believe that we can see his struggle though psalms. i believe the Lord healed him and that his response was joy. his response was vocal.

psalm 30:11-12 . . . You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing Your praise and not be silent. o Lord my God, i will give thanks to You forever!

his glory was not silent.

a few years ago i came upon this verse. my heart was overwhelmed with joy. i had clarity for the reason behind my storm. i tattooed on my wrist david's prayer, "...and not be silent," challenging myself to share where i've been.

it's easy to share with people struggling. but i realize there are more struggling than my eyes are open to. i'm praying for boldness. i'm praying that the Lord reveal to me His purpose in the drive His hope has given me. i'm praying that others will find that hope, and they will proclaim as well.

i'm praying that your hope is in Christ alone. the Solid Rock. the Firm Foundation.

all storms are serious. whether it involves depression or not. every trial is a storm.

the rain is a promise. a promise that He loves me. a promise that He can call it off at any moment.

i have hope.

0 comments: