Saturday, September 20, 2008

breaking down the box.

a box broken down is still a box. [5]


I couldn’t tell you exactly how I got here.

I’m young. I’m a college drop out. I’m working full time at a bank. That’s not me.

Something put me here.

Someone put me here.

Something has done something to me.

Someone has done something to me.

A year ago, I wouldn’t ever have thought of writing a book. But given the time to slow down. Given the time to listen to the Lord. Given the time to open the Word. Given the time to let people in.

Jesus changed me.

He put something inside me.

He is the only explanation for what is being built. Who He is speaking through. Who He is writing through. It’s grace, for His glory.

Just as He has worked in my life and continues to make me a completely new person through His Holy Spirit, He longs to do the same for you.

Once He is removed from the box, and explored for who He is, you find out who He has made you.

I’ve gone into minor detail about who I have been. Hard. Independent. Selfish.

That’s my flesh.

I still fall into it at times. I still want to push people away. I still want to take control. I still sometimes strive for perfection and expect too much from myself.

There is freedom.

I’m no longer living.

But Christ is alive, in me.

By His perfect grace, my flesh is dead, and His Spirit lives.

Romans 8:2-3 . . . because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.

Romans 8:9-11 . . . You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.


Are you ready to let go of control?

Are you ready to expect from only the Lord?

Then and only then will you become who God had created you to be. You will find freedom in Christ. God will be God, and become Lord of your life.

This is living in the Lord’s will.

This is walking to the edge of the cliff. Throwing everything you have over the edge, then throwing yourself over, and trusting that the Lord will catch you. Not having to know when or where.

Believe that He will.


Who does God want you to be? The Word spells it out for us. Clearly.

Who has God created you to be? That is what He wants to reveal to you. He demands glory. The best way you can glorify Him is by removing Him from the box.


The box can be broken down. But what do we do with it. It’s still there.

It’s still a box.

We have to be careful not to open it.

That’s the warning.

Anything we place in the box is what we long for control over. What we have expectations of. What we idolize. What come between us, and who God truly is.


Psalm 90:8 . . . You have set our iniquities before You, our secret sins in the light of Your presence.


Psalm 90:17 . . . May the favor
of the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands

0 comments: